Thursday 5 January 2012

Happy New Year

I am sure that this is a familiar sight for all of you currently studying for exams at the moment. Heads in books and past papers, sitting mocks in class and revising like crazy. I know because my students are doing the very same thing... or at least I hope they are! :)

I have started this blog to widen the audience of people I can help with their maths. My teaching experience has been in the UK education system and I have worked with students from the age of 7 through to students aged 73! The bulk of my experience has been working with students studying for GCSEs and A levels.

I am going to begin my blog by introducing some websites to you and because of the A level modular exams looming I am going to focus on sites that could help AS and A2 students.

The Student Room (www.thestudentroom.co.uk)
An educational social networking site that has forums for all subjects and you can often find worked solutions on here and students share help and advice. You do not need a login to read posts so check it out and see what you think. Many of my students have found this very useful in the past. A good tip if you are searching for help with a particular maths paper is to search very specifically e.g. "Edexcel Maths C1 January 2010".

Exam Solutions (www.examsolutions.co.uk)
A vast array of videos providing help on many topics of the A level syllabus. These are also available through YouTube but here they are split nicely into the topics that you are used to seeing from your books.

S-cool (www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/maths/)
An underrated, nicely presented site that has a great deal to offer in the way of revision notes and exam style questions.

Let me know how you get on with these and if you know of any more that would be worth sharing with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment